Nate's World

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Garden, um, yeah

Behold: Before:

After:

A close-up on that worker bee:


I shall not bore you overlong with too many gruesome details about the nightmare behind the garage, but the general reaction to this hideous clean-up has been "She's taking over!!" (yes!) and "Where is my wheelbarrow?" (in the garage, minus the mosquito lake/nesting ground!) from the nutty neighbors. As it goes, even after adding additional fencing to the top of this ugly mofo the cats still got in, so it will take some repellent to keep things jake in there, or lots more fencing--sigh, I moved all my little plants to a back porch locale, nice to have everyone there and accounted for, actually. We'll see how things percolate out in the coming weeks as to whether I actually get to plant anything there. *sigh*

5 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Perhaps some framed chicken wire panels over the top until the plantings make it look like something other than the BEST LITTER BOX EVER. An even easier alternative may be the netting sold in garden stores for keeping birds off fruit trees. That is what we used for the lettuce bed on Oak Street. We nailed it to the top of the fence behind the bed and draped it over to keep the kitties out.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous zu said...

I think the netting is the way to go...I haven't wanted to put one more penny toward this thing, but my radishes and lettuces are alive in there, along with a few doomed tomato seedlings, so maybe the netting will work. Additional fencing will be super ugly.
I will lay down chicken wire over my small units on the side yard--eggshell is working there for now. If you get it right on the dirt, under the plants, it doesn't show. We'll have to see how things shape up with the neighbor's new Spite Planter (!) and where that ends up (it's portable). All immensely interesting!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

A spite planter? Is it covered with glittery cherubs and filled with super shiny fake holly bushes and jammed full of "art on a stick?" Photos please.

10:14 AM  
Blogger suzanne said...

Don't give anyone any ideas, please!
No, it is a "spite planter" as in "well, I have one of my own! Nyah!" The new planter, which kind of looked like a boat, was quite mysteriously loaded into a truck and taken away by the beau of the lady, the other evening. Where it ended up I can only guess. I purchased some bird netting (and trash picked some violets!) for the "back 40" plot. Pictures coming soon.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous grandma said...

What a job! It makes a HUGE difference, though, even just to look at it without the mess. You've really brought out the potential in the landscape, made a lovely place for all of you to enjoy, and set an example for Nate of what you can do. Kudos.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home