Nate's World

Monday, September 08, 2008

Mommy's Appalachian obsession

One thing about our cable drought, now ended due to the need/want of more election coverage, was all the reading reading reading one does when the radio is on and the tv is off. Every New Yorker and Harper's is covered, and the library list of ours is stupendous. One can delve into odd subjects (such as my Viking thing last winter) and really get into them. A charming aside that both Nate and I love is the
"Appalachian Mailman" video
from Sesame Street ca. 1975. He loves the creek, and I love the local color. Crazy clapboard houses! The woman getting "Plain Truth" magazine! What is that? (Christian mishmash of ideas, I looked it up) And of course one can access Google maps to find out where Pine Top Kentucky is and if it's still there. A victim of mountaintop removal? No sirree, looks still to be there, but look to the side on the map. Lots of big gray scars where the mountain was flattened to get at the coal.
Nate seems to really love water, creeks, oceans, bugs, birdies, and other critters around us. Mommy hopes to keep this up rather than get too into the distractions of peering at Elephants in the zoo. I don't like looking at captive critters and Nate doesn't seem to get it either. He'd rather chase a pigeon or a squirrel. Of course, if we lived in the Appalachians we'd have to eat the squirrel.

3 Comments:

Blogger mamoho said...

So you have Cable TV! Hoorah.

But it doesn't have to be on all the time. I love turning it off. Then to reading time in bed.

I haven't always turned it off, you know. Used to fall asleep in front of TV. That was the bad old days.

7:46 AM  
Blogger suzanne said...

Nice to have the Daily Show, etc...and if we want to watch the midnight action movie with Bruce Willis or someone like him, so be it.

I know you used to wake up if we turned off the tele.

8:51 PM  
Blogger grandma said...

Nate's lucky to live where he can find the bugs and birds as well as all those great parks for kids. As for TV -- he's at a great age for some of the programs for kids.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home